Logo Background RSS

Puppy Proof Your Home

  • puppy proof your homeIs Your Home Puppy Proof?

    Many new puppies are injured or harmed because their owners are not aware of their habits or how curious they are. But if you imagine your home through the eyes of your puppy, you may notice many seemingly harmless household items that can cause unfortunate problems. Please read the following for tips on how to puppy proof your home.  Useful : Read our article about common causes of dog poisoning

    • Clear papers, magazines, books, nick-nacks, and everything else off your coffee table, counters and other tables while your puppy is being properly Chew Trained. If your puppy grows up believing that there’s never anything interesting to chew on those tables, he won’t develop a habit of searching there for fun!
    • Until your puppy is 8-10 months old, don’t leave food, sweets, dirty dinner plates, utensils or glasses on your coffee table, countertops or other table surfaces. Remember, if your puppy grows up believing that there’s never anything interesting to eat or lick on those tables, he won’t develop the habit of jumping up on them, “counter-surfing” or otherwise searching inappropriate places for goodies
    • If you don’t want your puppy to eat toilet paper or bathroom rubbish, shut the bathroom door! (Funny puppy fun often develops into annoying adult habit!)
    • Make sure kitchen rubbish is securely out of puppy access, locked under the sink or behind a shut closed door.
    • Don’t leave cigarette butts in ash trays where your puppy can get to them. If eaten, cigarette butts can lead to nicotine poisoning.
    • Secure electrical cords to baseboards, or make them inaccessible. Apply a taste deterrent to these cords (such as hot sauce, or one of the bitter sprays available at your local pet supply store) If your puppy chews on them, he can suffer electric shock burns and may even die.
    • Keep Christmas decorations out of your puppy’s reach. Crushed glass ornaments can cause nasty cuts.
    • Never burn candles where they’re accessible to your puppy. The flame can attract him.
    • Keep medication bottles out of your puppy’s way. Childproof containers are not enough to keep your puppy out!
    • Always keep the toilet lid down if you use toilet bowl cleaners. They are often strongly alkaline and tempting for a puppy to drink.
    • Keep cellar doors and upper story windows closed. A curious puppy is as vulnerable as a young child.
    • Dispose of chicken or turkey bones in a puppy proof manner. Brittle bones can be life-threatening.
    • Don’t leave needles or pins out where the puppy can get to them; puppies often swallow them!
    • Be certain anti-freeze is out of reach and ANY drippings are cleaned up completely. All dogs are attracted to its scent. Anti-freeze is HIGHLY TOXIC.
    • Use pesticides and rodent poisons with great caution. Hanging strips, fly paper and other exposed toxins must be kept out of reach.
    • Keep your puppy away from toxic plants. Rhododendron, Japanese yew, and lily of the valley, as well as peach and cherry pits can all cause problems if eaten by your puppy.

    Please also take the time to read :
    Common Causes of Dog Poisoning